Sunday, January 27, 2013

Burlap Flower Girl Dresses?....Yes Please!!

Well I am excited to say that I have finished the flower girl dresses! It fills me with such great joy getting to cross a project off my list. I am a true list maker (it drives my husband crazy) and I just love making them and then checking them off. My cousin's wedding has a bit of a country elegance feel to it's decor. When telling me about it she mentioned that she is using some burlap table covers, glass vases, twigs, etc and it started my wheels turning. Her colors are coral and turquoise and her dress is ivory. I just adore when people use a pattern in the flower girl dress so I was so excited to do the same for this wedding. We picked out this adorable polka dot fabric with a rustic country feel to it. I really wanted to incorporate some burlap somehow as to really get that rustic feel and....I just LOVE how they turned out!!




 
My daughter and another little girl are both the flower girls, so I did a 2T and a 5T. Above on the left are the little bodices before I sewed the shoulder sleeves together. It is fully lined with the waist seams enclosed in the bodice, so nice and clean. I used "the party dress" tutorial found over on The Cottage Home and made some alterations to make the dress work for this purpose. I then added some pearls around the middle to dress it up.
 
 
Next up, burlap! I just love how these rosettes tuned out. I used scrap material from the petticoat (pictured below) and swirled it with scrap muslin. I finished them with the burlap leaves and a few leftover pearls from the dresses. I attached them to pins so they can be removed for washing the dress or interchanged for other pins.
 
 
I just love them! The 2T is on the left and the 5T on the right.
 
 
I really wanted these dresses to twirl so I decided to add a petticoat. I used the "circle skirt" tutorial over at made and was so simple! This skirt was so easy to put together and it twirls like so other!! Please forgive the black elastic (it was all I had on hand and it goes under the dress anyways....)
When my husband saw the final dress he said, "When you told me you were going to use burlap to make Hadley a flower girl dress, I thought you were crazy. Yet somehow you found the only possible way to make it look amazing." Awww, I love that man!!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment